FARMERSVILLE - Preface


FARMERSVILLE

On January 10, 1870 a plot was мейд for Farmersville, Missouri which is one-fourth mile south of the Grundy-Livingston County line. Farmersville is only on the west side of the road and FARMERSVILLE - Preface is one fourth of a mile long. The ground was donated by Joseph Kinney and his wife Esther.


Sampsel Hessenflow was a huckster who traveled over the country buying chickens and eggs FARMERSVILLE - Preface. His father, Francis was a preacher in Farmersville. Sampsel’s children and grandchildren lived with him. Jim Brown ran a general store, selling it later to Link Wolfe. Bill Kinney was a carpenter and FARMERSVILLE - Preface ran a steam engine to pull a threshing machine for W. R. May.


At one time Farmersville had a post office and a drug store operated by Jerd Varney FARMERSVILLE - Preface. The town had two Doctors, Dr. Huff and Dr. Badorf. The Farmersville garages were operated by Mr. Prewitt, Oscar Mace and Andy Kilburn, (partners), Fred Kinney and Ernest Carr.


In August 1923 Ted and Celina Hatfield FARMERSVILLE - Preface opened a grocery store. They bought cream, eggs, poultry and at one time wild rabbits, for which they paid eight to twenty-five cents each. They sold bread for ten cents a FARMERSVILLE - Preface loaf, coffee for twenty-five cents per pound and $1.98 for a forty-eight pound sack of flour. They also sold feed.


John (Chuck) Williams used to run a bus from FARMERSVILLE - Preface Chillicothe to Trenton and back. He picked up passengers at Hatfields store and a ride to Trenton or Chillicothe cost twenty-five cents.


The west half of the highway was paved FARMERSVILLE - Preface in 1928, and the east side was paved later. Electricity came in 1941 from the REA and water came in 1970 with the water district.


The only business left in Farmersville in 1980 is a store FARMERSVILLE - Preface operated by Bob and Flossie (Butcher) King. They sell staple goods and sandwiches.


In 1980 the highway 65 was re-routed west of Farmersville. -- Mrs. Vernon Pray

LUDLOW

Livingston County was already past fifty years old FARMERSVILLE - Preface when one of its villages emerged along the new raMoad that was being built across the county. The new town was named for the post office that had recently been established for Monroe FARMERSVILLE - Preface Township by a prominent attorney and congressman from the district, Henry S. Pollard. He sponsored the bill creating the new post office in 1877 and after approval, he named it Ludlow, in honor FARMERSVILLE - Preface of his birthplace in Vermont.


A settlement had grown up around the churches and cemetery at Monroe Center but all buildings were moved one mile south in 1887-88 when the Milwaukee FARMERSVILLE - Preface Railroad was completed. This was the beginning of Ludlow. There had been at least two earlier settlements in the township, one called Austinville and the other Bluff City. Austinville was described thusly in FARMERSVILLE - Preface the Chillicothe Constitution Jan. 23, 1873.


Mr. Editor: I write from an old village that flourished in our neighborhood some 20 years ago. V.1% then, had a post office, a grocery and a “still house.” We FARMERSVILLE - Preface generally met at this place once a week, bought our groceries, received our mail matter and drank, if we chose to do so, some pure rye whiskey . . .


The site of Ludlow had been FARMERSVILLE - Preface the location of the old Treat School but when the railroad went through a new school was built, a more modern three room building, and the old school was sold to FARMERSVILLE - Preface the Christians of the area for a church. The Baptists moved their church from the cemetery to a site across from the new school, one block west of main street.


One of FARMERSVILLE - Preface the earliest stores in Ludlow was owned by Henry Walburn, James Wilson and A. A. Bryan. It carried a line of general merchandise. New homes were quickly constructed. One of FARMERSVILLE - Preface the finest was built by Judge Brock and he followed this with a town hall just south of his residence.


A list of early residents of Ludlow is: Mr. and Mrs. William FARMERSVILLE - Preface Harold, Mr. and Mrs. Culling, Judge Brock and Family, the Sanford Jones family, the Smith Toners, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Donald (agent for the railroad), the Hatchitts, Lenharts, Miss Belle Tracy (teacher), Mr. and FARMERSVILLE - Preface Mrs. Thomas Bryan, Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Skinner, the Rudolph family, the Copples, the Alonzo Wells family and the Sanford Smiths.


In 1890 the population was 100. There was a hotel whose proprietor was Pierce FARMERSVILLE - Preface Copple; the physician and druggist was Dr. C. O. Dewey; a general store was operated by Proctor and Wilson; a livery stable was operated by Wm. Copple; Postmaster was H. C FARMERSVILLE - Preface. Snider; Justice of the Peace was R. E. Gudgell; a grocery was operated by B. H. Kile; and a grain dealer was Sanford Smith.


The R. Lee Lumber Company was FARMERSVILLE - Preface organized in Ludlow in 1893 and it later expanded to Mooresville, Dawn and Chillicothe. Another line of business was the newspapers of Ludlow. There have been three: The Daily Herald, editor, C. R. Fleming, that FARMERSVILLE - Preface was publishing by 1905; the Ludlow Nation; and, the Weekly Chronicle published by Martin and Miller in the late thirties. Few copies of these are still in existence.


Dr. Dewey returned to his FARMERSVILLE - Preface home in Breckenridge and Dr. Fisher Johnson moved in to take the practice. He was accompanied by his brother and sister. Two other doctors who soon мейд Ludlow their home were Dr FARMERSVILLE - Preface. George Morse who arrived in 1902 and Dr. R. W. Murray who was practicing by 1910, and who was reported to own the first auto in Ludlow.


A branch of the W. C. T. U FARMERSVILLE - Preface. was organized in 1890 and continued to be active into the 1920’s. Secret organizations included the Masonic Lodge, Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, Royal Neighbors, Eastern Star and Woodmen of the World.


Engineering reports were FARMERSVILLE - Preface мейд in 1909 concerning a drainage project on Shoal Creek. The contract for building the ditch called Dredge Ditch was let August 4, 1910, and was about nine miles long starting just west of Ludlow FARMERSVILLE - Preface.


The summer of 1910 saw the census enumerated by Ward A. Norman. Population of Monroe township was 992. Land was sold just south of Ludlow for $53 per acre. Hogs sold at the market in FARMERSVILLE - Preface Kansas City for $9.40 and they were expecting 80-bushel corn that fall.


By 1913 there were two banks, The Farmer’s Bank with R. J. Lee president, and the First National Bank with FARMERSVILLE - Preface Scott Miller president. Jo Dusenberry was cashier of the former and D. J. Ballantyne was cashier of the latter. The grain elevator was built in 1912-13 by Noah S. Warner with an interest FARMERSVILLE - Preface in the business held by Jo and Elmer Dusenberry.


The local banks were each robbed. The Farmer’s Bank was robbed before 1918 and the robbers were caught quickly. The First National FARMERSVILLE - Preface Bank was robbed in the ‘20’s. It appeared to be a well organized plot. Telephone lines were cut and the night operator, Mr. Fred Toner, was tied up and held. The robbers FARMERSVILLE - Preface blew open the safe and got away.


In the first twenty years of the century, residents became used to automobiles for transportation. Livery stables were slowly being replaced by garages. Since FARMERSVILLE - Preface the advent of the railroad local residents used the rail facilities for shipping livestock to market in Kansas City and for personal travel. It was not unusual for Ludlow residents to go by FARMERSVILLE - Preface train to attend to business in the county seat by using the passenger service that took them to Chillicothe before noon and returned them to Ludlow by 4:00 p.m. Trips to Kansas City FARMERSVILLE - Preface left early in the morning with a possible return by 9:00 p.m. the same day. Attendance at Kansas City auto shows, livestock shows, shopping trips and visiting were often reported FARMERSVILLE - Preface. It was very easy to work in Kansas City and return home each weekend.


Fourth of July picnics, elections, family gatherings, church socials, plays and parties were the fun things people enjoyed FARMERSVILLE - Preface. They worked together to make quilts, harvest grain and hay, cut wood or do the work of a neighbor who was ill or injured.


Teachers in the community in the early teen years FARMERSVILLE - Preface included the following: Saide Close, Davie Critchfield, Mary Gilliland, Nettie Harlow, Ada Mossbarger, J. L. Vincent and Ethel Kinzy.


Ludlow loaned a number of her young men to the U. S. military FARMERSVILLE - Preface service toward “the war to end wars.” Everett Bryan, Carl Goll, Herbert A. Ledwell, Grover Boggs, Edgar Lewis, Everett Wm. Mann, William Slater, Raymond F. Smith, Jess Ward, Frank Welker, and Ira FARMERSVILLE - Preface Wells were among those who served from the Ludlow area.


The roaring twenties saw continuing growth in the area. Sports were enjoyed by the fans and participants alike. Basketball softball, baseball and croquet FARMERSVILLE - Preface were the most often played. Maurice Hatchitt was the most well known pitcher in the locality.


When the depression hit late in the 20’s the First National Bank closed its doors but FARMERSVILLE - Preface the Farmer’s National became the Ludlow National Bank. As banks were failing or closing to keep from failing (often more than one per day in the state) the Ludlow Bank was FARMERSVILLE - Preface reported as very sound.


By the late thirties some of the businesses in Ludlow included the Ludlow Elevator owned by A. N. Bailey, The Ludlow Chronicle (published by Martin and Miller FARMERSVILLE - Preface, edited by Mrs. Ray Smith), the Ludlow National Bank, Hatchitt’s Grocery, Robinson’s Grocery, Jamison Produce, Copple Oil, Ludlow Market, Ray Smith’s, the Farmer’s Store (owned by Inez Miller), Davis FARMERSVILLE - Preface Cafe, Borrusch’s Drug Store, Lee Johnson’s Shoe Repair, Jess Ward Garage, the Ice Plant (managed by Grover Boggs), Ludlow Hotel (managed by Mable Stewart), R. Lee Lumber Co. and Stewart’s FARMERSVILLE - Preface pool hall. The telephone office was owned and operated by Fred Toner. The railway depot was operated by Marvin Pollard who was also the local lawyer. Dr. George Morse was the physician FARMERSVILLE - Preface, while the post mistress was Mabel Mossbarger and the carrier was Mr. Baker.


The spring of 1938 saw the roads being graveled from the railroad north to the cemetery, distance FARMERSVILLE - Preface one mile. Traveling play troupes came through and performed plays once a week. An example was the Sid Kingdon Troupe and one of the plays was Jesse James, performed in December, 1938. By the spring FARMERSVILLE - Preface of 1940 the merchants were providing free movies once a week. They were shown outside on a mowed vacant lot and each patron provided his own seat (often a blanket or quilt FARMERSVILLE - Preface). Soon, the town hall purchased by H. T. Wolcott, was the location of the weekly movies and it was possible to show them year round, but inside they did cost a small sum and FARMERSVILLE - Preface popcorn was available for purchase.


Fire was feared by most town business and home owners. There was no fire department or organized fire fighting plan. Most houses and buildings were wooden FARMERSVILLE - Preface and the walkways in front of many businesses were wooden planks. In the brick buildings the floors were wooden and often oiled. Many businesses did burn; but, probably the worst fire occurred March FARMERSVILLE - Preface 22, 1939 about midnight. The conflagration completely burned the two-story frame hotel and a brick garage. Inside the garage four autos were burned, two owned by the mail carrier, one by FARMERSVILLE - Preface Ray Smith and one by Russell Toner. The businesses were a total loss but there was no loss of life.


In the summer of 1938 there was a big picnic held in FARMERSVILLE - Preface honor of Dr. George Morse, the local physician who had served the community for 36 years. It was held in the Ludlow Park near the depot and there was a special register to sign for FARMERSVILLE - Preface all those who attended that Dr. Morse had delivered at birth. There were more than 100 of Dr. Morse’s babies there.


World War II was costly to the community but it did FARMERSVILLE - Preface unite the population in the war effort. Bond drives, Red Cross work, scrap drives for grease, metals and tin cans as well as collections of old tires and milkweed pods were мейд. Probably FARMERSVILLE - Preface the greatest contribution of the local area was the food produced on the farms of the community.


Some of the local boys who served in the military were the following: Russel Beckley FARMERSVILLE - Preface, Minnis and Virgil Buntin, John Busby, Gordon Hawkins, Charles Holden, Charles Hughes, David Hughes, Lee Johnson, Edwin Johnson, Donald, Richard and Robert Lee, J. Willard Stewart, Hubert Welker, Clifford Webb, Chancey Smith FARMERSVILLE - Preface, Billy Dean Slater, and Lee Wolcott.


After the war was over several businesses burned. The ice plant was no longer needed as electricity was available to the rural population. Use of the FARMERSVILLE - Preface railroads for travel also declined due to the proliferation of automobiles. Many of those who had gone to serve did not return and the town’s population slowly receded.


Today, the Ludlow FARMERSVILLE - Preface National Bank, the Elevator, Post Office, Schoeller’s Market, Gladys’ Beauty Parlor, Jones’ Gas Station, the Lion’s Club, Shoal Creek Association and the Baptist Church and Community Church FARMERSVILLE - Preface make up the area of downtown Ludlow. The school has been moved outside Ludlow. Ludlow High School was closed in 1951. The old school was torn down in 1979 but a consolidated school was FARMERSVILLE - Preface established in 1956 to include the towns of Ludlow, Mooresville, Utica and Dawn and it has served the area almost 20 years. The new school is known as Southwest and includes grades kindergarten through FARMERSVILLE - Preface senior high.


A water district has been organized and served the same area as the school district wiith safe public water service. There is fire protection provided by the volunteer fire department from FARMERSVILLE - Preface Dawn but a number of local Ludlow residents are volunteers.


Present population is about 175 and the farmland is selling for about $1200 per acre. A retirement home was completed in May, 1980, and there FARMERSVILLE - Preface are plans to build a sewer system.


The railroad still is in operation along the tracks of the Milwaukee but passenger trains no longer serve the area. The town and the FARMERSVILLE - Preface railroad area still support each other. -- M. S. Jones
  • oldrussian.ru/programming-in-plan-9-why-did-i-write-this-book.html
  • oldrussian.ru/-2-vprovadzhennya-analzu-poltiki-v-ukran-plan-vstup-4-rozdl-sho-take-analz-poltiki-10-viznachennya-termnv.html
  • oldrussian.ru/adj-commercial-mercantile-trading-interchangeable-marketable-staple-in-the-market-for-sale-wholesale-retail-adv.html
  • oldrussian.ru/a-szent-atanz-grg-katolikus-hittudomnyi-fiskola-akkreditcija-a-magyar-akkreditcis-bizottsg.html
  • oldrussian.ru/poyavlenie-teplokrovnih-zhivotnih-istoriya-gumanoidnih-civilizacij-zemli.html
  • oldrussian.ru/csc-career-skills-connections-4.html
  • oldrussian.ru/teaching-professional-ethics-to-lawyers-and-mediators-using-active-learning-techniques-4.html
  • oldrussian.ru/5facility-layout-location-and-work-measurement-9-mandatory-disclosure.html
  • oldrussian.ru/the-project-gutenberg-etext-of-76.html
  • oldrussian.ru/paper-lab-variable-length-subnet-masking-vlsm-the-script-kiddie-cookbook.html
  • oldrussian.ru/-33-napisannya-i-ta-e-ta-v-rosjskih-vlasnih-nazvah-vstup.html
  • oldrussian.ru/vozniknovenie-kokandskoj-avtonomii-kokandskaya-avtonomiya.html
  • oldrussian.ru/5-26613unadj-num-et-art-ind-10.html
  • oldrussian.ru/na-nash-poglyad-na-suchasnomu-etap-nema-pdstav-rozglyadati-nstitut-upovnovazhenogo-yak-alternativu-organam-prokuraturi-ukrani-vn-d-dodatkovo-do-chinnih-v-ukran-pravozahisnih-nstitutv.html
  • oldrussian.ru/rozdl-4-naconalna-narodna-pravosvdomst-u-perod-revolyucjnogo-samoviznachennya-ukrani.html
  • oldrussian.ru/ideologicheskaya-kulminaciya-pismo-n-andreevoj-tretya-mirovaya-informacionno-psihologicheskaya-vojna.html
  • oldrussian.ru/accountancy-is-a-profession-which-many-people-find-attractive-it-has-been-confirmed-that-60-of-all-students-seeking-admission-into-universities-in-nigeria-opt.html
  • oldrussian.ru/bite-size-review-sleeping-beauty-david-swindles-cinema-diary.html
  • oldrussian.ru/glava-vosemnadcataya-zapiski-radiota.html
  • oldrussian.ru/essex-ss-housing-court-department-5.html